Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Ranking the NPB's Uniforms

I'm a bit of a uniform nut and since there have been some new ones released recently here are my two cents on the current uniforms around the NPB, ranked from best to worst. 
Quick note: unlike the MLB where Majestic makes every teams uniforms, NPB teams uniforms are made by a variety of manufacturers leading to more variation between the teams.

1. Hiroshima Carp

Home

Road


Not all that original, but these are just so clean, especially the home uni's.

2. Seibu Lions

Home

Road

Another clean look, nice lettering on the chest.  Home uni is a little boring, but the road set is great

3. Chunichi Dragons


 












I've probably discussed these enough

4. Rakuten Golden Eagles

Home

Road
Unique color scheme, great hats, not overdone piping: these are very solid uni's

5. Orix Buffaloes
Home, Road & Alternate















Really like all of these, my only complaint is that when you see the road uniform live the spacing of the letters and numbers is a little off and the gold and grey don't mesh all that well.  Would have to say the alternate is a favorite.

6. Yakult Swallows

Home

Road



The Swallows uni's are pretty flashy, but I still like them. If they got rid of the colored triangles on the base of the sleeves and pants they would be even better.

7. Chiba Lotte Marines

Road, Alternate and Home














These get bonus points for being such an upgrade over the horrific shark-tooth design that preceded them.  This photo is from a couple years ago when they first came out.  I'm not sure if they still wear that alternate.

8. Yomiuri Giants

Home
Road


It's some subtle things that drop the Giants down the list, mainly the cut-off Adidas stripage on the pants and the differing shades of grey on the road uniform's fabric (that makes vertical stripes).  As much as I don't like the Giants they do have a classic color scheme and cool caps.

9. Fukuoka Softbank Hawks

Home

Road
These aren't bad, but I don't like the double stacked lettering on the home uni and they need to lose the yellow bills and go to an all-black cap.  The double stripes on the sleeves have grown on me, they're different.
 
10. Yokohama DeNA Bay Stars
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
People seem to like these, but while I appreciate that DeNA is a gaming company and the uni design is video game-esqe they just look a little too amateurish.  I don't like the new lettering or home cap logo as much as the old logo and script.  I also don't like the black underarms on home uni's or how the color scheme seems to differ between the home and road sets.  I do like the star hats and the idea of the monochrome dark road set.
 
11.  Hanshin Tigers

Home and Road













I really like their batting helmets, but I don't really have anything else positive to say about the Tigers' new uniforms.  Adding extra stripage to to pinstriped uniforms just never works out.

12.  Hokkaido Nippon Ham Fighters

Home

Road
I've never been a fan of the Fighters' unsymmetrical uniforms, I do like the use of more blue in their newer home uniforms though, it's a cool shade.  Never liked their hats or home uni lettering either.  The newer (2011) road uni is a slight improvement over it's predecessor, but still has double stacked lettering and it's gold.  There are just way too many things that aren't working for me.

No comments: